Saturday, October 21, 2006

i'm the kind of human wreckage that you love!

First off, the boys from MCR are going to be on SNL tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me, this is unbelievable and beyond crazy. I first saw MCR at the Horseshoe many years ago (I think second year of university) opened for some act I didn’t even cared for. There were about 20 people in the audience and maybe only seven people including me knew who they were. The next 12 months or so I saw them about four or five more time opening for various bands. (I have yet to see them headline)

Second, The Black Parade was leaked (finally!) last night. Other than a little Libertines during my design class and Patrick Wolf’s "Pumpkin Soup", the only thing I listened to the entire day yesterday was The Black Parade... seriously, without exaggerating, I probably listened to the album about six or seven times already. There is only one way to describe The Black Parade: a hard-rock-musical!!!!!!!

The album opens with "The End" – a-two-minutes teaser track that showcases the new-ish MCR sound in experimenting with multi-instruments and sound effects. It is a great intro which features heart monitoring machines, acoustic guitar, piano, and some great finger snapping! The next track, "Dead!" starts with a killer guitar solo... it is basically a classic MCR song: fast, loud and fun... kind of reminds me of "Headfirst For Halos". Speaking of "Headfirst For Halos"... the intro to "This Is How I Disappear", sounds awfully similar to the intro of "Headfirst"... come on people... tell me I’m not crazy... Jesse, what do you think?? "The Sharpest Lives" sounds like a song from Three Cheers (maybe the beginning of "To The End")... man, I have to stop making these comparisons!!! Anyways, it is overall a pretty decent track with straight forward rock instrumentations. The first single off The Black Parade , "Welcome To The Black Parade" is next; and as I have mentioned before, I am absolutely in love this song. If it isn’t for the very cheesy lines "I don’t love you, like I did, yesterday…", I don’t think I would like "I Don't Love You". It is definitely a post-I Brought You My Bullets track, and it does not display the fast and crazy MCR… this is one of those MCR songs that your sister or your girlfriend will most likely enjoy. Thank god that is followed by "House Of Wolves": a much faster track that features some metal-ish guitar solos in the background... listen for it, it’s great!!! Next is the piano driven track, "Cancer". This is, by far, the most emotional and saddest song on the album. It is a short and extremely well done song. "Mama" is full of the Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge signature rhythms... you know, that hard rock, but yet dancy rhythm. Make sure to listen for the break at 3:39... it’s awesome! "Sleep" is one of the only tracks on The Black Parade I do not really enjoy. It is nothing special, it is one of those mediocre post-I Brought You My Bullets tracks. ...Only four tracks left... thank god, I am kind of tried of writing this goddamn review. Anyways, track eleven, "Teenagers", is a typical-ish teenage (hence the title) rebellious anthem... it is stupid, catchy, and I love it. Next... another slower track in "Disenchanted"... sucks... "Famous Last Words"... again, pretty slow... kind of a shitty way to end the record... but wait, there is a hidden track!!!!! "Blood", the hidden track, which is a minute and a half of up-tempo-blood-fest! It totally redeems the disappointing last couple of songs. So, if you read this review the whole way through (why did you do that to yourself), it is pretty easy to spot that my only problem with this album is that it features too many slow-ish tracks, other than that, the album is great and coming from an old MCR fan, I am not disappointed at all! The end.

1. The End. [wicked-cool song]
2. Dead! [wicked-cool song]
3. This Is How I Disappear
4. The Sharpest Lives
5. Welcome To The Black Parade
[super-wicked-cool song]
6. I Don't Love You
7. House Of Wolves
8. Cancer
[wicked-cool song]
9. Mama [wicked-cool song]
10. Sleep
11. Teenagers
[wicked-cool song]
12. Disenchanted
13. Famous Last Words
14. Blood (hidden track)
[super-wicked-cool song]
***files have expired, reload upon request

The Black Parade comes out on Tuesday (October 24), you can preorder it here.

2 comments:

roro said...

thanks for putting this up, it's awesome you rule! Are you still going back to scarborough today? if not call me for a good time!! see ya

Anonymous said...

This picture looks like some sort of retaliatory photo shoot to the boys in Panic at the Disco. Does it say anywhere in there that they 'want to be the new Smashing Pumpkins... only not as cool. Like, maybe the Smashing Pumpkins in running shoes. Yeah! We could call ourselves Pumpkins in Pumps! Nikes! D00d that'd be SWEET!'?