Saturday, October 21, 2006

girl talk = annie + ludacris + the verve + eminem = sweetness!

So I have been telling a few people about Gregg Gillis, a DJ who goes by the stage name Girl Talk. It was actually Tricia who told me to check him out... and I am so glad I did. Girl Talk mixes Top 40s hip-hop, rock, and indie songs. Personally, I can’t take 99% of the Top 40s stuffs out there; however, they are delightfully listenable when they are cut in length and conjoined in with rock and alternative classics. (from Eminem, Kelis, Biggie, M.I.A., Kanye West, The Game to Sonic Youth, Nine Inch Nails, Fleetwood Mac, Fall Out Boys, and The Smashing Pumpkins) After listening to non-stop Night Ripper last weekend, I concluded that Gillis is a fucking genius: he has truly perfected the art of mixing. For example, take the first track, "Once Again", it features over 15 different samples ranging from Ludacris, Ying Yang Twins, The Verve, Ratatat, Eminem, Ciara, and Oasis just to name a few. See, how crazy is that!?!?!?! Some other highlights mixes include Pixies’ "Where Is My Mind?" And Weezer’s "Say It Ain’t So" on "Hold Up"; Phantom Planet’s "California" on "Too Deep"; and Annie’s "Heartbeat" on "Warm it Up"!!

1. Once Again [wicked-cool song]
2. That's My D.J. [wicked-cool song]
3. Hold Up [wicked-cool song]
4. Too Deep [wicked-cool song]
5. Smash Your Head [wicked-cool song]
6. Minute by Minute
7. Ask About Me
8. Summer Smoke
9. Friday Night
[wicked-cool song]
10. Hand Clap
11. Give and Go
12. Bounce That
13. Warm It Up
[wicked-cool song]
14. Double Pump
15. Overtime
16. Peak Out

***files have expired, reload upon request

buy Night Ripper here.

No comments: