Monday, July 24, 2006

i'm not pushing you away, i'm pulling me toward myself

This is my 300th post... wooooo... anyways, I am sure you guys don't care about that, so onto the main point of this post... I finally saw Strangers With Candy on Friday night and I have nothing but positive things to say about the film! It is so deliciously racist and immorally hilarious!!! The plot: an elderly (46, although I thought she was much older) ex-con/ex-prostitute/ex-junkie (Amy Sedaris) returns home from spending most of her life in prison. She finds out that her mother has passed away and her father has re-married and is in a coma. In attempt to awake her father from deep sleep, she decides that she needs to start her life over to impress him. She enrolls back to high school and aims to be a great student. I know exactly what you are thinking: what a stupid and outrageous plot! Well, the screenplay is actually pretty brilliant. The movie plays with membership (racial and sexual) categorizations. It creates "spoof" responses to overly-exaggerate popular media amplification of different ethnic groups. Ultimately, audience laugh not because they are racist themselves, but because they are aware of the over-representations of certain categorizations. This kind of humor/satire is very similar to Family Guy, but Strangers With Candy is edgier, nastier, and crazier... warning: the film is meant only for an audience who is not easily offended.

No comments: