Monday, July 10, 2006

are you only being nice because you want something?

Pitchfork has dissed another record I love!!! This time: Thom Yorke’s new disc The Eraser. One of the negative things the reviewer said was that "tracks 3-5 falling particularly flat". How? I don’t think so! Track 3, "The Clock": Yorke’s vocal melody is perfect. His mono, yet dynamically smooth vocal sings some of the most memorable lines on The Eraser: "But you just move your hands upon the clock, Throw coins in the wishing well… For us…" Further, the music is interesting as it features this beatbox-ish sound in the background. The next track, "Black Swan" is easily one of the best songs on The Eraser solely because of the very catchy lines "this is fucked up, fucked up…" or "you are fucked up, fucked up…" In addition, it features clever lyrics like: "People get crushed like biscuit crumbs", "You have tried your best to please everyone, but it just isn't happening", and "You cannot kickstart a dead horse". Then, there’s "Skip Divided". How can anyone not like this track!?!? The music features some great complex beats; it is yet another great display of Yorke’s melodic vocal: there is so much emotion in this song that I actually thought Yorke was going to scream at the top of his lungs! The ending lyrics are again extremely memorable: "When you walk in a room everything disappears, When you walk in a room it's a terrible mess, When you walk in a room I start to melt, When you walk in a room I follow you around, Like a dog, I'm a dog, I'm a dog, I'm a dog, I'm a lapdog, I'm your lapdog, yeah."

What gets me is the end of the review:


The word 'gray' will be used to describe The Eraser, and with good reason-- unless you're predisposed to loving everything Yorke sets his voice against, you mind fight this an oppressively dreary affair. My totally catty suggestion: Don't bother with this unless you've already worn out the grooves on Jonny Greenwood's much less-heralded but completely brilliant Bodysong soundtrack. Or maybe, if you're really jonseing, set up two stereos and play both solo records at once, Zaireeka-style. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that worked.

WTF, how pretentious, unresourceful, and meaningless is that!!!

The Eraser [wicked-cool song]
The Clock [wicked-cool song]
Black Swan [wicked-cool song]
Skip Divided [wicked-cool song]
And It Rained All Night [wicked-cool song]
***all files have expired, reload upon request

buy The Eraser tomorrow!!!
Canadian shoppers, you can pick up The Eraser at Futureshop for only $9.99!!!

No comments: