Thursday, July 20, 2006

art is what you can get away with

If you are in Toronto, be sure to check out the new Andy Warhol exhibit Supernova: Stars, Death and Disasters, 1962-1964 at the Art Gallery of Ontario... oh, and it is guest-curated by David Cronenberg! I am not a huge fan of Warhol, but there are two pieces that no art fans should missed. First is "Suicide" or "1964-White"... I actually don’t remember the actual name of this piece. The story: the woman in the photograph committed suicide by jumping off the Empire State Building and landed right on top of a white diplomatic limo, and even after such tragic event, she still looked beautiful and elegant. I find this piece absolutely sad and stunning at the same time, I fell in love with it immediately, I need to find a re-production of this!

xx

The other piece I liked was "Couch", which is a film shot in The Factory. It is just a film which featured Warhol’s friends sitting around, doing nothing, having sex, having orgies, and more sex... it is beyond fascinating. I think that it is kind of crazy that this was made pubic as we get to see some very private activities performed by Warhol’s guests; but ultimately, I think it was meant to be shown to the public from the very beginning, I mean, why else would Warhol made this film.


Andy Warhol, Supernova: Stars, Death and Disasters, 1962-1964 runs from now until October 22 at the AGO. It costs $15 for students... although the exhibit is small, it is worth the money!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to check this out, even though I don't really like Warhol or Pop Art.