Sunday, August 26, 2007

ben lee sings against me!

I was on Punknews.org yesterday and saw an album cover under reviews that looked awfully like the new Against Me! record, New Wave. I closely examined it and to my shocking surprise, the caption said: Ben Lee Sings Against Me! New Wave. Yes, it’s true, Ben Lee covered the entire Against Me! record. Here’s Lee’s blog entry on why he did the cover:


A couple of weeks ago I downloaded the new "Against Me!" album "New Wave". I didnt really know too much about this band but had been reading lots of good things about it, and my friend Tegan sings on it. I like to keep myself up to date with whats going on musically in the world, so I checked it out. I fell in love with the album. Really. Like, couldn't stop listening to it. As heavy and gnarly as it sounds at times, it is unmistakably a pop masterpiece. Listening to it on the way to Australia, I wondered to myself how these songs would sound acoustically.

A couple of days later I was on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne and had the thought "I'd love to cover this album." The whole thing. Beginning to end. So I did.

Anyway, here are the results. If you already know the original album, I hope these recordings shed a different light on it. If you don't know "Against Me!" and like what you hear, go check them out.

Nic Johns is the unspoken hero of this tale. He recorded, produced and mixed it and basically made my dream a reality. Hats off to him.

Hope you guys dig it.

Enjoy!

Ben


You can download the entire cover album by Ben Lee here!!!

Against Me!: New Wavebuy New Wave (Against Me!) here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it this a joke?!

Anonymous said...

I actually don’t mind the covers.

Anonymous said...

Ben Lee is shit and the covers are awful!

Anonymous said...

ben lee did a fine job, and i even prefer a few songs over the ones on the actual album!!