Friday, January 19, 2007

the saddest movie ever made

I am a pretty big fan of French cinema, especially French New Wave (Godard is one of my favorite directors of all time)! I just love the style, the radical ideas, political tones, and romanticism of French New Wave. About a week or so ago, I saw Louis Malle’s Au Revoir Les Enfants for the first time and since then, I have not been able to take that film out of my mind. It is absolutely a remarkable movie... oh, and it is probably the saddest movie I have ever seen in my life! The film takes place at a Catholic boarding school during WWII. It is ultimately a story about the ignorance and innocence of young school boys growing up during a very confused and evil period of time. (You can read a more detail synopsis here) Anyone with a heart should watch Au Revoir Les Enfants at least once, and I guarantee, it will make you cry!

No comments: