Sunday, September 09, 2007

the devil wanders into my soul

One thought that keeps recurring in my head while listening to White Chalk is: “what the hell... this is PJ Harvey??” Certainly, I think most PJ fans would agree with me when I say that White Chalk sounds pretty different compared to her other releases. It seems like PJ Harvey has taken a brand new direction on this new record: musically, the angry rock guitar melodies are replaced by haunting piano notes whereas vocally, her commanding deep voice is replaced by mesmerizing soft tones as well as unusual high pitches. Personally, I am quite in favour of this new path as PJ’s freshly adopted style displays her vulnerabilities in dark fashion; thus, adding extra doses of heartbreaking elements to her songs. Without a doubt, many old PJ Harvey fans will miss her classic style, but that’s what the other seven albums are for; I am glad that she experimented with this dramatic change on White Chalk as the end result is nothing short of stunning.

The Devil [wicked-cool song]
When Under Ether [wicked-cool song]
To Talk To You [wicked-cool song]
***all files expire in 7 days or until bandwidth reaches its limit

PJ Harvey: White ChalkWhite Chalk comes out on September 24th in the UK, you can pre-order it here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, thanks!

Anonymous said...

you should listen to Nicole Atkins ! if you haven't already
done so

-trashzoo

Jackman said...

Cool, I'll check her out for sure!