Thursday, April 13, 2006

a look back at 2005

One of the most important things that make an album great is its ability to last. Good albums are released weekly, but great, timeless albums are very rare. So, I want to take this time and go back to my ‘best of 2005 list’ and see which albums I am still listening to and which ones are “so last year!”: (I know, this is a very self-indulgent post!)

1 patrick wolf - wind in the wires
I still listen to this album at least two to three times a week, probably one of my favorite albums of all time!


2 sufjan stevens - Illinois
Only listened to this a few times this year, but still a great album.


3 bloc party - silent alarm
Ok, here’s an album I loved last year, but I haven’t listened to it in a long time.Semi “So last year!”

4 final fantasy - has a good home
Only stopped listening to it a few days ago because I have got my hands on the new Final Fantasy disc, He Poos Clouds… which is an even greater album!

5 bright eyes - i’m wide awake, it’s morning
Still very into this record.

6 death cab - plans
“So last year!” This album is probably the worst DC album. It is very catchy and I listened to it a lot when it first came out, but cheesy lyrics really hart this record… it is no We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes or Transatlanticism

7 against me! - searching for a former clarity
Just listened to this today!!

8 antony & the johnsons - i am a bird
“So last year!” but wouldn’t mind seeing this band live!

9 spoon - gimme fiction
All spoon albums are timeless!

10 nade surf - the weight is a gift
11 andrew bird - the mysterious production of eggs
Best Andrew Bird album!

12 buck 65 - secret house against the world
13 boys night out - trainwreck
“So last year!”


14 xiu xiu - la forêt
I still preferred Fabulous Muscles


15 bayside - bayside
“So last year!”


16 pajo - pajo
17 alkaline trio - crimson
The album is “So last year!”, but A3 is still one of the best bands ever!

18 bell orchestre - recording a tape the colour of the light
19 mars volta - frances the mute
“So last year!”

20 the fiery furnaces - ep
“So last year!” To be honest, I don’t even know why this is on the list!



Here are some records released in 2005 that I didn’t get a chance to listen to until 2006 and they should all be on the list:

a wilhelm scream - ruiner
sigur rós - takk...

broken social scene - broken social scene
great lake swimmers - bodies and minds
jens lekman - oh you're so silent jens

3 comments:

Jackman said...

WTF!!!!?!??! as if there aren't already enough junk mails in my hotmail account, now i'm getting junk comments on my blog!

Anonymous said...

but it's true, i made over $1,000,000 doing this last year..check that site out

Anonymous said...

20/2005

1. i am a bird now - Antony And The Johnsons
2. Here Come The Tears - The Tears
3. Aerial - Kate Bush
4. Crying Room - Perry Blake
5. A River Ain't Too Much to Love - Smog
6. Funeral - Arcade Fire
7. Cole's Corner - Richard Hawley
8. Open Season - British Sea Power
9. Cripple Crow - Devendra Banhart
10. Odyssey - Fischerspooner
11. The Back Room - Editors
12. Want Two - Rufus Wainwright
13. Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
14. The Mysterious Production Of Eggs - Andrew Bird
15. The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
16. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
17. State of the Ark - The Ark
18. Arular - M.I.A
19. Another Day On Earth - Brian Eno
20. The Best Little Secrets Are Kept - Louis XIV