Tuesday, April 18, 2006

featured artist

Sorry for the last post, I hope it didn't depress anyone. So, now on a more lighter note... today, I found yet another very cool artist. From what I have seen so far, a big part of Ronald Kurniawan’s style is combining surreal objects with realistic, heroic landscapes. This style is very conventional among surreal artists: disturbing reality by using surreal objects or creatures in realistic environments. In many of his paintings, he uses block letters and numbers to create some really smart and interesting pieces. For instance, click here to see "B Plantation"... I don’t think any explanation is needed here. Some of the themes that Kurniawan deals with are conflicts, fears, and isolations. He uses these themes, as well as beautiful imageries and colours to create some very mysterious narratives in his pieces. In addition, he utilizes all these techniques to create some extremely unusual sculptures. My personal favorites are "One could stand on its own", "I had a dream that I was on a boat with trees for sails", and the amazing "Birdhouse". Be sure to check out Ronal Kurniawan’s website, but beware, you will probably be stuck there for a long time as you will find yourself looking at every single one of Kurniawan’s magnificent work. Enjoy!

On a side note, some BIG updates are coming soon including a facelift to the entire blog as well as more live Feist tracks.

1 comment:

roro said...

yeah, he seems like a pretty cool artist, gives me deja vu though, weird... can't find P for Portman though...