Monday, March 27, 2006

taking a break and updating this blog pt. II

In the past week, there are three songs that I have played over and over again; all of them by Bright Eyes. The first song is “June On The West Coast”, a song about a shy individual who longs for the attention and love of another. The second song is “First Day of My Life”. It is an absolutely beautiful love song between two people. I like this song because it can be applied to any types of relationships! That is, relationships which only involve two people (homosexual or heterosexual), but not open or polyamorous relationships. Plus, the video for the track is probably one of my favorite music videos of all time… it fits the song perfectly! The final song is “A Perfect Sonnet”: the ultimate anti-love song. Here, Oberst expresses his hatred for all the cute little couples in the world by drowning them in the ocean or throwing them into fire. All of the songs mentioned above feature some of the greatest lyrics by Conor Oberst, give them a try!

June On The West Coast
First Day of My Life and watch the video here (i also have the video in high-quality quicktime format, email me if you want a copy)
A Perfect Sonnet

Perhaps the reason why I have been playing these songs nonstop is because for the first time in my life, I long for love: to love and to be loved. I guess I want all the wonderful little things that movies and books and songs promised, but at the same time, I am afraid of the suffering, pain, and sadness that love might ultimately entails.

buy Bright Eyes releases here

No comments: