Friday, March 03, 2006

CMW... Day No. 3

Bell Orchestre
Bell Orchestre is an instrumental band from Montreal. I say instrumental because their latest album Recording a Tape in the Colour of the Light has absolutely no voice on the entire album – it focuses only on instrumentation. Some songs are quiet, with no regular musical form such as metre or rhythm, while other songs on the album are fast, upbeat, and even danceable. The Bell Orchestre applied great contrasts throughout Recording a Tape in the Colour of the Light, creating some lovely textures and dynamic level to the album. Some of the more quiet songs do get a little boring at times, and certain sections on the album might be too abstract or avant-garde for me. It will be interesting to see what they’ll do for their next record… my suggest: add a harpsichord and maybe more strings.

Sounds like: The Shining, Baroque/Classical music

Throw It On A Fire
Salvatore Amato (live at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, November 4th, 2005)
buy Recording a Tape in the Colour of the Light here


Moneen
Wow, I have lost count on how many times I saw Moneen live. These Bramptonians are always so much fun to watch: so much energy and passion put on each show. All I have to say is that it has been way too long since I’ve gone to a Moneen show (last time was December of 2003) and it has been almost three years since the last album, Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now? came out… I NEED to hear new Moneen!!!! Luckily, the wait is almost over: the new album The Red Tree, is coming out April 11. Can’t wait to hear it! Wow, I've just noticed, this little writeup about Moneen is pretty lame! Oh well.

Sounds like: Sunny Day Real Estate, The Movielife, Taking Back Sunday

Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now?
Start Angry ...End Mad
buy Are We Really Happy With Who We Are Right Now? here


Joel Plaskett Emergency
I actually don’t know anything about this band …or artist …I think it’s only Joel Plaskett himself. I don’t have any Joel Plaskett Emergency albums nor do I have any mp3s on my computer or ipod. In fact, I have only heard one song by Joel Plaskett on an episode of CBC 3 Radio podcast last year. But I have repeated that episode (well, that song) countless times now and I am totally in love with it. The song I’m talking about is 'I Love This Town', from the album La De Da. (haha, I love it, an Annie Hall reference!) I won’t say anything further about the song; I am not going to deconstruct it, there’s no need! It is just a beautiful song.

Listen to 'I Love This Town' here (Windows Media file)
Buy La De Da (for me) here ...wait, I'd rather have the vinyl

No comments: