Friday, March 24, 2006

insert something clever here

This is probably going to be another long rant, so, beware, stop reading now, you’ve been warned. Ok, too late, now you are forced to read the rest of this long and probably boring post. First, someone told me today (Millie) that my blog has became a music blog and that all I post are music stuffs... well, fuck you, I don’t see you doing anything with your blog! (just kidding Millie, I love you)

I.
I saw a movie today at Carlton called Rhinoceros Eyes starring Michael Pitt. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Donnie Darko. Chep (Michael Pitt) is this semi-weird/idiot-ish/schizophrenic kid who works and lives among a 50 pound cherry, outrageous costumes, ugly toys, and endless junks located in a rusty props shop. One day, he encounters an art director (Paige Turco) who’s filming a movie and needed some really hard to find props. Immediately, Chep is drawn to her and will do anything to get her the props. Thus starts Chep’s wide and bizarre props hunting journey. The movie deals with hallucinations, fantasies, and alter ego... and it also features some really cool and freaky stop-motion animations! The entire cast is wonderful, with exceptional performances by Michael Pitt (as always), Paige Turco (the art director lady) and this girl who plays the ticket booth person (I don’t know her name, and I’m too lazy to look it up). To top it all, it was filmed in Toronto. I hope I didn’t give anything too important away. What do you think Millie? Do I need to edit out anything?

II.
Downloading doesn't hurt the music industry! Read the Canadian Record Industry Association study here.

III.
First disappointment of 2006: From First to Last’s Heroine. This was one of the albums I have been anticipating for a while. FFTL’s last effort Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count was on my top 10 in 2004; as a result, there is no doubt that I was excited to hear new materials from them. I’ve probably listened to the disc about four or five times now; overall, it is mediocre: a couple of decent tracks, but no real highlights, at all! Very disappointing!! Speaking of anticipations, one of my most anticipated albums for 2006 is brand new Brand New. I have been listening to their new demos nonstop for a few months now. I am blown away by what the boys have created so far!

IV.
High-quality releases so far: Jenny Lewis: Rabbit Furcoat, Test Icicles: For Screening Purposes Only (incredibly amazing record), and Anti-Flag: For Blood And Empire
3 in 3 months... not bad at all!

V.
The weather's been marvelous this week. Did I just use the word marvelous to describe the weather... damn, that's gay!

VI.
There are so many hypocrites out there!!!

VII.
Nuit Blanche: an all-night celebration of contemporary art taking place on the evening of September 30th until the morning of October 1st. For that one night, hundreds of museums, galleries and other facilities across Toronto will open their doors to present free art programs to residents. I am so there!

VIII.
Thursday has a new single out “Counting 5-4-3-2-1”. You can download it here. ***file has expired, reload upon request This is what Geoff from Thursday has to say about the track:
"The song is about a friend of mine that died while we were in high school. He was my partner in French class and we had a few things in common. Aside from being terrible at French and loving the same girl two seats ahead of us, we both hated living in a small suburban neighborhood where everyone dressed the same, looked the same and liked the same types of food. Both of us would talk for hours about where we were going to go when we got out of school and went off on our own. Unfortunately, he was hit by a train that runs behind the bleachers on the football field. When I finally finished school and moved away from that town, all I could think of was the fact that he would never have the chance to leave. Now, years later, I think of how many of my friends have been swallowed up by places that they'll never leave and it keeps me determined to follow my heart. I hope if any of you ever get the chance to leave a place that you can't stand, you play this song as you drive away. That would do my heart some good."

Umm... I think that’s all the randomness I can provide for now... I was going to include a new featured artist, but I guess I’ll wait and put that in a new post.

No comments: