Saturday, May 16, 2009

the horrors: primary colours

The Stooges/garage-punk sound of Strange House is gone from The Horrors’ follow-up; in fact, their style changed so dramatically that I thought I was listening to a different band the first time I heard Primary Colours. Leaving the early 70s, The Horrors traveled to the late 70s/mid-80s and learned from bands like Suicide, Joy Division and The Jesus and Mary Chain. The result is truly astonishing; they have once again successfully taken the best elements from a popular classic genre and reinvented it to create an absolutely brilliant record! I would go as far as to say that Primary Colours is the best record of 2009 so far! I can go on and on about this album and do a track-by-track thing like I did for The Thermals’ Now We Can See; but you probably don’t want to read an essay on Primary Colours and frankly, I am too lazy to write a long review! Nevertheless, I will tell you that my favourite tracks are "Who Can Say", "I Can’t Control Myself", Primary Colours and of course, the 8-minute epic Sea Within A Sea! Oh, and did I mention, Primary Colours is the best record of 2009!

Who Can Say [wicked-cool song]
Primary Colours [super-wicked-cool song]
Sea Within A Sea [super-wicked-cool song]

visit The Horror's MySpace here
buy Primary Colours here

1 comment:

Jordan said...

i am stil not sure about this band.