Monday, June 07, 2010

the drums: the drums

Around this time last year, the internet was treated to an unofficial/leaked EP from Brooklyn’s The Drums. Yes, I was guilty of downloading the EP and I even wrote a very positive post about it as well! Then in September, the band released "Summertime!" EP and it became one of my favourite releases of 2009. So now, 9 months later, The Drums’ S/T full-length debut is finally out and I am happy to say, like everything before, the new record is incredibly catchy and pretty damn awesome! The great thing about the full-length is that only a handful of songs were from the previous EPs; and if you were strong enough to stay away from The Drums EP, you will be greeted by a "new" song entitled "Best Friend". It is a surprise that this joyous and lighthearted sounding opener is about a dead best friend, definitely one of my favourite songs by The Drums. This full-length debut is what I have been saying about The Drums’ music in my other posts—it is utterly catchy and wonderfully carefree, just a perfect summer record. I have a good feeling that The Drums will one day be up there with The Tough Alliance’s 2007 masterpiece, A New Chance as my favourite summer albums of all time!



visit The Drums' MySpace here
buy The Drums here

No comments: