Tuesday, April 13, 2010

los campesinos!: romance is boring

photo by Jon Bergman

I just noticed that I have neglected to post about Los Campesinos!’ Romance Is Boring. Well, unless you’ve been living under a rock, Roman Is Boring has been out in both Europe (Wichita) and North America (Arts & Crafts) since the end of January/beginning of February.

This was one of the most anticipated releases for me this year. Ever since seeing the energetic group from Wales played for free at The Horseshoe Tavern about 3 years ago, I have been in love with the band, and Hold On Now, Youngster... is one of my favourite albums of the decade; so saying that Romance Is Boring was a highly anticipated release might be an understatement!

Anyway, on to the actual album: what can I say, Romance Is Boring is yet another brilliant release by LC! I feel that more so than before, the writing on this album is pure genius, and of course, wittier than ever: "We are but two atheists in lust, you know, we gotta make our own luck;" "I've learnt more from toilet walls, than I've learnt from these words of yours;" and "They promised they’d be best of friends from now until forever, but both were far too needy not to fall for the other. And how the frequent public displays of sisterly affection left her feeling safe, left him with an erection."

Musically, the album is full of classic LC! dynamic changes in songs like the opening track and "I Just Sighed. I Just Sighed, Just So You Know". Meanwhile, the male/female call & response and group shoutings still feel very fresh and amusing, especially in "Romance is Boring", "We’ve Got Your Back (Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #2)", "I Warned You: Do Not Make an Enemy of Me", and "This Is A Flag. There Is No Wind".

Romance Is Boring features all the characteristics that made so many fall in love the band in the first place—their grand and multi-layered instrumentation and engaging vocals exchanges. Despite this, the highlight for me here is the lyrics as Romance Is Boring is a perfect showcase of extraordinary song writing.






visit Los Campesinos!' MySpace here
buy Romance Is Boring here

No comments: