Wednesday, July 21, 2010

zola jesus: stridulum ep

Zola Jesus—June 17 @ Sneaky Dee's (NXNE 2010)
I did not know who Nika Danilova (aka Zola Jesus) was until about a month ago, when I first started listening to the incredible Stridulum EP... and when I saw her played a spectacular set at Sneaky Dee's during NXNE 2010. The Stridulum EP features six atmospheric and moody songs. The EP has the mysterious quality of Fever Ray and the dream-like mood of Bat For Lashes; however, Zola Jesus’s songs are more gothic sounding. Each track is highlighted by Danilova’s incredibly powerful voice over the hauntingly sinister build-ups of synths and drum machines. The Stridulum EP is a fantastic teaser of what Nika Danilova is capable of... I cannot wait till the next Zola Jesus full-length!

I Can't Stand [wicked-cool song]



visit Zola Jesus' MySpace here
buy Stridulum EP here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zola Jesus is really - really - great! Night is my favorite, along with Run me Out. I've found an artist who I say it's her, in a male body. His name is Pat Gross, and his project name is "Active Child". I'm sure you would like it!

Anonymous said...

I like it very much!