Tuesday, April 04, 2006

top 50 indie films

Jesse sent me this link today. I thought it’s pretty cool. I saw 33 34 out of the 50 films. There are still many to watch... guess I’ll be hitting the video store soon! See how many you have seen. Did you beat me? Anyways, I thought the list’s pretty good, but why are most of the films American? Where are all the foreign films? Or Canadian films? There certainly are greater independent Canadian films than Cube and Pink Flamingos should NOT be on the list, that movie sucks! Ew, and why is Passion of the Christ on the list?!!?... that is like one of the worst movies of all time!! I will post a list of movies that I thought should have been on the list in the 'comments' section. Check it out... add to the list!

UPDATE It is 2:30 am and I have just watched one of the scariest horrors in years! For those of you who know me, you are probably very shocked by this comment. And for the rest who don’t know me, I NEVER get scare in movies. For the most part, I go see scary movies for the comedy and reactions of the audience. However, The Descent is pretty damn scary. The story and concept is very simple and the scares are cleverly developed as the characters in the film move forward. That is all I can say, I know, it is extremely vague, but you have to trust me on this one, The Descent is scary and highly enjoyable to watch! Warning: if you are scared by simple Hollywood horrors, please do not watch this by yourself, gather as many people as you can and have fun with it!

8 comments:

Jackman said...

Few films that should’ve been on the list:

The Dreamers
Harold and Maude
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
My Life as a Dog
Elephant
Rushmore
Sweet Hereafter
C.R.A.Z.Y.
Ghost World
Last Night
My Life Without Me
Vivre sa vie
Tout va bien
Dr. Strangelove
Fargo
Once Were Warriors
Zombie
Magnolia
Pi
Requiem for a Dream
Bad Education
Y tu mamá también
Kids
Trainspotting
Mysterious Skin
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Me and You and Everyone We Know

That’s all I can think of right now. Were Taxi Driver and Rebel Without a Cause independent films when they first came out? If so, add them to the list as they are two of my favorite films of all time!

Jackman said...

come on guys... no suggestions?!?! don't you guys watch movies!?!? Liam? you are like the one person that watches more movies than i do! by the way, Blade 2 doesn't count!

roro said...

Sisterhood of the traveling pants, the gods must be crazy 1&2, glitter, romy and michelles high school reunion, blue crush, country bears, you got served, 13 going on 30, honey, any lesbian movie of course! what's funny is that some may read this list and think that i am joking, but jackman, you and i both know the truth!!

lol

-RoRo

Anonymous said...

holy shit robin, that is like the worst list ever! except for "gods must be crazy 1&2"... and like none of those are indie, what the hell is wrong with you! just kidding, you know i love you!

Jackman said...

yes katie, you are right! "the united states of leland" is a really good movie!

thanks

Jackman said...

yes, that's another good one!

i saw "rhinoceros eyes" a few weeks ago... i liked it a lot! i kind of reviewed it in my march 24th post, you can read it if you are interested.

i now want to see "thank you for smoking" and "brick"

Jackman said...

i stumbled upon a john goodman picture today... and it remained me how much i loved "the big lebowski" when i first saw it many years ago.

Jackman said...

saw "brick" today... a little confusing at the beginning, and not to give anything away, i get it by the end (kind of). i definitely need to watch that a second time to fully understand everything! a very cool film for sure!!