Monday, April 24, 2006

did you know you were going to shoot off the top of a 4 year old girl's head?

I had my first exam today… and dare I say, it was fun. What!?!?! 'Fun' and 'exam' in the same sentence? Yes, my exam was alright, not too hard at all. I could actually answer everything! The listening portion of the exam was awesome and pretty damn easy. I had to identify four mystery songs and answer random questions for each song. The songs were: Gloria Gaynor’s "I Will Survive" (ew!), "Fuck the Police" by NWA (haha, my wish came true), "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones, and Alanis Morissette’s "You Oughta Know"... really how fucking awesome is that, I got to listen to Alanis Morissette during my exam!

Ok, now to the main point of this post: about a week ago, I got my hands on the Xiu Xiu and Devendra Banhart 7" split. Devendra Banhart singing "Support Our Troops Oh!" in a peaceful harmonic style, a vocal style closely resembles to Hank Williams. I know, for those of you have heard Xiu Xiu’s version of "Support Our Troops Oh!", you must be asking "how can anyone make such a violent and distrubing song into a peaceful gospel?" Well, Devendra Banhart did and he did it successfully! It is absolutely a mind-blowing cover! In contrast, you have Xiu Xiu doing my favorite Devendra Banhart song "The Body Breaks". Xiu Xiu completely murdered (in a good way) one of the most beautiful songs ever! Seriously, Xiu Xiu can take any song, even the happiest song ever and make it sound disturbing. The off beat sound along with uneven vocal dynamic levels transformed "The Body Breaks" in the most creative and unique way. Overall, an astonishing 7", probably some of the best covers I have ever heard!

Devendra Banhart - Support Our Troops Oh! (Xiu Xiu Cover) [wicked-cool song]
Xiu Xiu - The Body Breaks (Devendra Banhart Cover)
***all files have expired, reload upon request

buy the Xiu Xiu/Devendra Banhart 7" Split here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WEIRD! I have to say I haven't jumped the Banhard Bandwagon (alliteration OH!), so I dunno about this collab... but we'll see. Also let me know whenever Xiu Xiu goes a-tourin and we'll tap that shit like... it wasn't.... shit. Or something.

Jackman said...

the Rejoicing In The Hands album by Devendra Banhart is really good... but i'm not a fan of the album that came out last year. and yes, we definitely have to tap that live Xiu Xiu shit!