Thursday, April 06, 2006

my face is on a shoe!

This week issue of NOW Magazine features one of the most amusing articles I’ve even read. The article's headline was: If the shoe fits… Adidas’s "Yellow" line mocks Asians with bucktoothed caricature. It talks about a new Adidas line called "Yellow" - and particularly about a shoe that features a Chinese cartoon character with buckteeth and slanted eyes. I am absolutely NOT offended by this at all! In my opinion, I think that it is funny as hell that someone (in this case, a giant shoe company) actually made this. It is even funnier that people actually buy this! I like how no one really cares when Asians and Asian cultures are 'made fun of' or 'put on display'. I’ve said this before, if those Harjuku Girls that Gwen Stefani has by her side were Africa girls, there would be an outcry among the black community. Likewise, if those Adidas shoes were called "Black" and featured a black guy with big lips and an afro, without a doubt, there would be boycott and outrage against Adidas. I just think it is crazy (and sad) how our society allows us to make fun of certain groups or be racist about certain groups; it really shows that there are still countless ignorant people out there!

go pick up this week's copy of NOW and read the entire article by Yee-Guan Wong on page 22

On a lighter note, I’m still working on new graphics for this blog and there will be a HUGE music update coming soon (hopefully).

1 comment:

roro said...

true, but i would totally buy those "black" shoes, if it was a black mama with a big ass!! mmm... black mama's with big asses... drool....

lol
bun bun

p.s can't wait for those HUGE music updates!!